* Please note that due to the Covid-19 outbreak our churches are closed and all services and events up to May have been cancelled. We will update this information as things develop. We are finding new ways to serve the community and to worship. Please see online worship material on our Resources page and more on the Exeter Diocesan website here. *
The following letter was emailed today by the chair of the Parochial Church Council of the Parish of Central Exeter to all our parishioners – scroll down for a prayer for those in isolation and a link to useful resources:
“The present emergency is changing daily and is affecting the Church of England in the same way as everyone else. We shall try to keep you all updated about significant changes in the life of this Parish.
At present all public church services in the Parish and throughout the Church of England have been suspended. There are no services taking place in our churches until further notice. This includes Tuesdays at St Pancras. We are looking at ways in which as a Parish we can retain some sense of communal worship even if we are unable to meet physically. Please look out for more on this.
The Annual Church Meeting and all associated activities eg membership of PCC, churchwardens etc is postponed until October at least, and in the meantime everyone retains their current status.
You may like to look at the diocesan website on this link here for prayers, other resources and ideas during this stressful period.
A prayer for those in isolation
God of compassion,
be close to those who are ill,
afraid or in isolation.
In their loneliness, be their consolation;
in their anxiety be their hope;
in their darkness, be their light;
through him who suffered alone
on the cross,
but reigns with you in glory,
Jesus Christ our Lord.
Go well, everyone”
The Parish of Central Exeter offers a variety of services, drawing upon both traditional and contemporary strands. The monthly 8.00am Sunday morning services in St Pancras use the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; the twice monthly Eucharist in St Olave and the more flexible communion services at St Stephen’s use Common Worship. In addition, an informal act of worship, Meeting Point, is held in St Stephen’s twice a month.
Being part of God’s mission of love and reconciliation in and through Jesus Christ, we are committed to:
Giving breathing space
- Providing an open, inclusive and non-judgemental atmosphere
- Providing a range of opportunities for worship and prayer
- Informing others about us
- Encouraging innovative use of our church buildings
Living the values
- Growing & developing our varied groups and congregations
- Supporting ourselves and others on the spiritual journey
- Supporting our work through prayer
- Responding to the needs of others
- Being open to the call of the spirit
Engaging with the city
- Discovering what others need from us
- Integrating the St Stephens Project with our overall mission
- Working with other agencies and churches
- Through shared use & these historic buildings available to all
If you have a concern about the safety of someone or the actions of someone working with children or vulnerable adults, please speak to someone:
- Our Parish Safeguarding Representative is Mary Keaney, tel No: 07856 848121
- Or find the Exeter Diocesan Safeguarding Team details here
If you are a young person and you feel unhappy about something happening to you, you can call Childline on 0800 11 11