SAFEGUARDING POLICY FOR CHILDREN, YOUNG PEOPLE AND VULNERABLE ADULTS
- As members of the Parish Church Council, we commit our church community to the support, nurture, protection and safeguarding of all, particularly the young and the vulnerable.
- We recognise that our work with children, young people and vulnerable adults is the responsibility of the whole church community.
- We are fully committed to acting within current legislation, guidance, national frameworks and Diocesan safeguarding procedures.
- We will act in an open, transparent and accountable way, in partnership with the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser, Children and Adult Social Care Services and other agencies that work to safeguard children young people and vulnerable adults.
- We welcome staff and volunteers who are recruited in accordance with the Church of England Safer Recruitment Policy and Practice Guidance (2014). We will follow safe recruitment procedures to carefully select and train all those with any responsibility within the parish for children, young people and vulnerable adults. This will include appropriate registration with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
- Our community will provide an environment of ‘informed vigilance’ which will be alert to the dangers of abusive relationships. We will challenge any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of trust.
- We will respond to any complaint or allegation made that a child, young person or vulnerable adult may have been harmed, co-operation with the police and relevant agencies in any investigation.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse and help them to access further help as appropriate.
- We will care for and minister to any of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult and in conjunction with the Diocese and other specialist agencies draw up a plan to avoid any possibility of future harm.
Any safeguarding concerns can be discussed with the Parish Safeguarding Representative, who is: Mary Keaney, Parish Administrator
Her contact details are
Mobile no: 07856 848121
This policy statement was agreed at the PCC Meeting on 2nd April 2017.